There are many sources with information that you can advice to find the computer services that are available to the Department. All included as options on ITS website. First, you have to visit User Guides. The guides contain a collection of user guides instructions and transactions information on various issues framed by general descriptions very detailed instructions on specific issues. If you don't know how to start or you are new at the Department then you have to start with the new users guide. If you work on one of this lab, please read the instructions about labs. Read the FAQ!! Here you can find short replies to most usual questions and indicators for more information. Visit the Announcement area on Helpdesk where you can find the most update information on changes that have taken place or underway. Use the search tool on ITS website on Helpdesk to find the issue that you are interested in. There, you can find information or answers on problems that have already solved.
Return back any equipment that you have borrowed. If you have signed for any equipment, then it is assigned to you, therefore just say that it is officially returned back. University policy is that student account should remain open for further two years after finishing the degree. Although, if you want to close your account, then you have to arrange your data to be stored in a way that you can transfer them and then to clean data areas. Give special attention to data that can be stored in your personal system. If you want to keep your account open, then notify IT support team which is your plan such as your account to remain open.
Be careful that this process is valid for academic, management staff and students. Use the following process to create your personal website that can be accessed using URL style <server>/~<username>
For example: http://www.cs.ucy.ac.cy/~username
1. Create a sub directory in your home directory (on UNIX system) and name it: public_html. The command for this is: mkdir ~/public_html . Next you have to set the permissions of this new directory to 755 (rwxr-xr-x , using command chmod 755 ~/public_html). All sub-directories that you will create later should have the same permissions.
2. Create your webpages in this new directory. In order someone to be able to access your page, knowing only your login name is essentially to name your home page as index.html. On this way, your webpage can be accessed from the URL: http://www.cs.ucy.ac.cy/~username
3. Be sure that files are public readable. (UNIX permission form should be rwxr--r—- for all files. MS-Windows permission should provide access form everybody). Don´t put other permissions than those in your job. On your home directory you can set permissions at least rwx..S..x. Be sure that you know what you are doing, if you don´t follow those permissions. If you give more loose permissions you will enable other users to see and maybe to destroy your job (not only your webpage).
Be careful: Any file that you put on public_html will be visible through public_http so don´t put there, any files that you don´t want other users to see them.
More detailed descriptions on available servers, methods and functions for the webpage development is available to Web Development
You can run Tex/Latex on aias.cs.ucy.ac.cy. The following directories should be included on your own variable PATH$ on your profile /usr/local/tex/bin/rs6000/usr: /local/tex/bin: /local/TeX/bin
More information on Microsoft Azure Dev Tools, who can be a member and how, can be found here.
VPN is a software that can provide a secure connection to your computer on Department network. It is used for a remote connection (from house) and it can be used to access computers on the department, like Unix lab. Also you need it to be able to see your files on your home directory from your house.
The VMAP program enables the members of the Department to obtain VMware software for free. Software virtualization lets you run simultaneously more than one operating systems on your computer.
MATLAB & Simulink Available on Campus
The University of Cyprus staff and students can now have access licenses to offers MATLAB, Simulink and all associated toolboxes.
Use the MATLAB Portal as a landing page for downloads, learning resources, and more:
Click here for a detailed installation video guide.
From September 2021, the way of changing the password changes.
In order to change your password visit the website https://iam.ucy.ac.cy/ managed by the Central Computing Services, or in exceptional cases contact CS Department ITS serevices.
Quota is the limit that you have for saving your data on Department systems. Users quotas are as follows:
This is for U: drive that you can see on Windows, which is the same as /home/students/cs/<path>/<username> of Unix
All students have a limit on their Windows Profile space, 80ΜΒ total. Analytically, there is a quota limit on: Desktop and My Documents on 50MB and other 30MB for the rest space that Windows use. (Application Data etc)
On the beginning of each academic year, account of each student is credited with €120,00 for printing notes and projects. Then if you need further printing quotas, you can credit your account by contact department reception. The same applies for students of other departments who attend a course on the department, for whom, their account is credited with €4,00.
Information on this you can find in the New User Guide, at section "ενεργοποίηση λογαριασμών".
I can solve the problem in three ways:
1. If you are in a unix lab, from the login screen of a machine, press Ctrl+Alt+F1. You transferred to “text console” and login with username and password. Run the command du -hs *. This command gives the size for each directory and each file, where located in the central file. So you can see the size of each directory. Another situation is if the directory of Mozilla .mozilla is very big (especially if used regularly Mozilla). I can see the size of the directory with the command du -hs *. In this case, I must run the command rm –rf .mozilla. Run the exit command and transferred to the graphical mode. Then try login to the system.
2. If you are on Windows lab: Go to U:\ drive, choose the option from the Organize → Folder and search options → View → Show hidden files, folders, and drives. You can choose .mozilla and delete it or you can see the size of each directory separately. Another option is to move them to windows Documents or in a usb drive.
3. If you are at home, connect to a unix machine with ssh. Follow the steps as in the case 1, to see the size of directories/files and delete accordingly.
First of all don't shut down the PC. On this way, any changes that you have done on your profile, as well as new files that you create will not be saved!
1st Step: When you run some application, many large files are created, which is better to delete them from your profile.
You can find them on C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data (Windows XP) or on C:\Users\<username>\AppData (Windows 7)
Application Data is hidden and in order to see it, from any folder go to: Tools Organize → Folder and search options → View → Show hidden files, folders, and drives
If you use specific settings for some of the applications that are appeared on Application Data, it is better to delete a specific application folder. For example if you have bookmarks in Firefox, site on Macromedia, saved sessions on XWin etc.
2nd Step: Delete from your profile all .eclipse, .java, .borland etc, if you don´t use those applications anymore.
3rd Step: If you have finished Oracle course, delete Oracle Jar Cache folder .
4th Step: If you cannot solve the problem, use Helpdesk (tool for electronic help) to send the problem to ITS.
First of all, you have to connect with VPN. Next, you have to use FTP (for example: FileZilla) or SCP program (for example: WinSCP) and connect to the port 22 to any Linux machine using your username and password.
First of all make sure that you have the correct drivers. Then from printer properties, enable the setting of double/both sided.
The Department manages a restricted access wireless computer network with code identifier cs-wifi. The network is accessible from buildings that the department is accommodated. For connection details visit this LINK and open the guide about wireless networks.
Note that the wireless networks with identifier newcampus and ucy-wifi is under the Management of Information Systems Service and for obtaining access needed to fill a form for registering the computer to the service, or provide your credentials. For any problems about newcampus or ucy-wifi networks, users should be directed to the ISS.
The most of Unix systems are automatically synchronized through Network Time Protocol (NTP service from external constant clocks). You can easily synchronize your PC clock going to NTP service website. Be careful that this synchronization will need to be repeated every time identified that the time in your machine is not real.
To give a user access to a database, a request form must be filled out "Request form to create website for studies/conferences" and applied on Technical Support Team (forma). The request should declared:
1. The type of database (MySQL, Oracle, or MS_SQL)
2. The name of the database
3. The desired username to access the database
4. Start and end of program/conference
In cases where the request was filed by a student or researcher, the request for the creation of the database must be supported by an academic who is responsible for this project/site/course.
In addition, more details can be found on this link.
To connect to SQL Server from a remote computer, you have to follow the steps:
Go to Control Panel/User Account
Select User Account and then from “pick an account to change” select the account that you work on it.
From Related Task select Managed my network passwords
Then you have to press Add button and to complete the form as followed
At the end you have to press Ok
and then the result is that you create a registration with the name: electra.cs.ucy.ac.cy
Linux: SVN commands